Tuesday, 4 December 2012
Antisemitism in Canada - Education
So I've finally finished all my research about my Antisemitism in Canada project, and it's finally time to put it all together.
What I intend to do is create the Facebook account of a Jewish person living during the 30s and WW2 in Canada. I want it to be as accurate and representative of the Jewish population as possible.
I just started making the account and I've already run into my first problem:
Education
Facebook asked me what high-school and university I graduated from. This was something I had not looked into before. So high-school was not a problem because I decided to assume that this person had immigrated from Europe as did many others, and would therefore have undergone high-school education before coming to Canada.
University was more of a problem. I found out that antisemitism extended even as far as University enrollment. Jew were not banned from university; however, it was difficult for them to get into some universities because the universities capped the number of Jewish students allowed. So after doing some research, I found out that Queen's was the least strict on the quotas, and allowed the most Jews in, including Jews escaping Germany during the 30s.
So that's why I have now decided to put Queen's University as education.
"Universities and Antisemitism." Wikipedia. N.p., 1 Nov. 2012. Web. 01 Dec. 2012. .
Millar, Anne. "Education During the Second World War." Wartime Canada (200?): N. pag. Web. 01 Dec. 2012. .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment